Monday, July 26, 2010

Blindness & Technology- KNFB Reader Phone

This posting is the first in a series that will demonstrate how many of the challenges of blindness can be overcome, or at least minimized, through technology. The KNFB reader combines Optical character Recognition software (OCR) with a high quality camera/cell phone. I can scan a bill, book cover, correspondence, or most print material and have the phone read it to me audibly. If I want to get fancy, I can email the images or documents to myself. Although it is very useful for reading menus, bills or letters, it is not practical for reading materials that are more than a few pages, such as a book. Vocational Rehab purchased it so I could read handouts that would be given to me while in class. Here is the viedeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VeC0X1Ejc


Here is the blooper video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZxxLs9nCpo

Note: My use of video is a work in progress. In the future I will limit videos to two or three minutes. Also, a special thanks to my daughter Natalie who is my photographer.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - Rod and I are both amazed at what the KNFB reader can do. I can't believe it can scan a picture that quickly, at that range and read it out. That's amazing!

    I'm surprised you only had one blooper take. If I were taping myself I'd probably start laughing every five seconds and mess it up.

    Great job Natalie with the video taping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I had many bloopers. I just didn't publish them.

    ReplyDelete