Monday, July 5, 2010

Race, Respect & Blindness

When I first moved to OKC, I did not use a white cane. I was still trying to function like a sighted person. When I rode the bus I was just another passenger using public transportation to get from point A to point B. Actually, that wasn't entirely true. Many times I was the only white person on the bus. Initially I was somewhat uncomfortable being so conspicuous but soon got over it. But two years ago I began using the cane as I travelled and observed some interesting changes. Most people were more courteous, or at least less discourteous, than when I didn’t use my cane. However it is not surprising since many people are likely to be more sympathetic to an individual with an obvious disability than someone without a disability. What is surprising is the difference of how I am treated by blacks and whites. Black people are more likely to address me as "Sir" or hold the door open for me than whites. I don't really want anyone to open a door for me as I am capable of doing so on my own. However, I do appreciate the concern and it sure beats somebody waving their hand in front of my face just to see if I'm really blind. (This actually happened to me and I used a great deal of restraint not knocking him out cold.) But I digress. My point is black people are more likely to demonstrate respect to me than whites. I have no idea why this happens but it does.

4 comments:

  1. Now, see, you're pointing out to us something most of us never will have the opportunity of experiencing, and that's super! I think it's great that blacks are more courteous because that's not the usual stereotype. Of course older folks are more "God-fearing" and were stereotypically "raised right." This is fascinating to me. I haven't taken a bus in YEARS (except for going to a downtown festival in Milwaukee several years ago because it was easier and cheaper than parking)-- I believe it's been over 25 years since I've been on a bus, so I would not have noticed how people act towards a disabled person on the bus.
    I'm also curious about how you're reading our responses and how you're proofreading your comments.
    Just sign me Nosy Rosie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting observance. Are they taught better manners as they are growing up? Hmmm...makes me want to double up on my efforts of treating everyone with courtesy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your remarks. This is an interesting topic and I'm suprised there wern't more comments. I will probably re-visit this issue again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I agree to with you Tom, that some Black people tend have better manners than their white counterpart. I am not sure why but I have noticed that in different circumstances where a black man used better manners than a white man. Just yeaterday, a black man moved so I was allowed to stand in front of him at a race for Neil so I can see better, even though I was perfectly fine with my spot. I was not trying to get a better spot but he felt the need to be couteous to me. Kamla.

    ReplyDelete