Friday, June 18, 2010

Fading Out

I don't want to go blind. But then again, who would want to? My eyesight is deteriorating because of fluid seeping into my retina. Now I know what you are thinking. At least you have your other eye. But that is not true. My other eye is totally blind. In essence, I am blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other. In addition to going blind, I don't sleep well. Those who are visually impaired or blind suffer from disrupted sleep cycles and my situation is compounded by the distortions that I see 24/7 and even when my eyes are closed. The most frustrating aspect of my current situation is that I cannot really function as I would like. But as I told my father, it could be worse. I could be smitten with a condition that makes life unbearable. Since I enjoy writing and need a positive way to deal with going blind, I decided to share my experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly. I hope you will find value in reading my blog just as I will be strengthened in sharing my life with you. In short, this is my therapy.

2 comments:

  1. I understand the therapeutic value of writing!!! How old were you when you started going blind? Can you explain to me how you see distortions while your eyes are closed? Please help me understand. I know when I was little, in the dark I used to rub the corners of my eyes kinda' hard just to see the bluish images of my eyes. That's AWFUL about the disrupted sleep cycles!!!

    ReplyDelete